Sunday, July 29, 2012

Zucchini Chips

We've begun harvesting zucchini from the garden and I planted lots this yr as summer squashes are one of my favorite veggies to preserve for use throughout the yr. I dehydrate them shredded and also in sliced rounds to throw into soups, stews, casseroles or baked goods. I also "noodle" a bunch with my spiral slicer and dehydrate them to use as noodles too. Personally I think zucchini noodles that have been dehydrated are much more "real noodle" like than fresh raw zucchini noodles. I rehydrate them in water but drain them while they are still just a bit chewy for use in recipes. Dehydrated shredded zucchini also makes a great ground beef stretcher in many recipes. However, one of my very favorite things to do with it though is make chips.

I'm sure most people have either had or at least heard of Zucchini chips but I wanted to share them with you here since we've been enjoying them so much lately using the South African Smoke Seasoning Blend from Trader Joes to flavor them. It makes the best zucchini chips (wonderful on Kale chips too). The flavor reminds me a little bit of BBQ flavored potato chips :)




Ingredients:
 
-Zucchini 
-Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed, Organic Olive Oil
-Himalayan salt (or other quality sea salt) 
-Seasonings of choice, in this case South African Smoke Seasoning blend 
 from Trader Joes is my current favorite but you can use whatever you like. 
 I've  made a ranch style blend to use on them, I've used curry, taco  
 seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder with salt and parsley, nutritional yeast 
 with garlic and onion, other store bought seasoning blends (read ingredients 
 of course).... The possibilities are endless really.
Zucchini chips are made by thinly slicing zucchini (other summer squashes work well too as long as they do not have large hard seeds as some yellow varieties do). I use a mandolin so they are evenly sliced. 

Place the slices in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and add seasonings of your choice to taste and toss well so all the slices are evenly coated.

Once the Slices are nicely coated and you've tasted them raw to make sure you are happy with the amount of seasoning you've put on them, place them on dehydrator trays or on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Dehydrate until dry and crispy or use your oven on the lowest setting if you don't have a dehydrator. 

I'm pretty sure I've eaten the equivalent of at least three large zucchinis while typing this post, they are just so good :)


3 comments:

  1. Wow! how do you read my mind? I made dried zucchini this week and I was wondering how to get a good BBQ flavor. Thanks for testing out food to get the flavor right so I don't have too. :) Now for a trip to Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also make interesting flavor variations using marinades and sauces. Dill pickle zucchini chips are surprisingly good. Lots of different sauces can be used to make my favorite spicy hot zucchini chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brthomas thanks for the suggestions! I LOVE the dill pickle chip idea!!!! Can't wait to try it!!

    Another favorite of mine is salt and vinegar!! :)

    ReplyDelete