Saturday, July 28, 2012

Super moist and Yummy Chocolate Cake With Rich Chololate Frosting (Grain free with diary free options, GAPS legal)

My sweet Levi's third Birthday was last week and I made for him what I think is the most perfect chocolate cake ever and its even GAPS legal. I was (am) so impressed with this one I had to share it with you. I wish so much I could post a picture for you!! I will post one as soon as I am able!

1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil if you can't have butter) 
4 cups white beans (soaked and well cooked)
2 big splashes of vanilla
about 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
10 eggs
4 tsp baking soda
about 1 cup honey (or a combination of honey and stevia extract to taste which is what I did)
1 1/2 cup cocoa powder
about a tsp salt (I used Himalayan)

I put everything in the vita-mix and mixed until it was well blended scraping the sides as needed. You could use a mixing bowl and mixer if you ran the beans through a food processor first and you might want to melt the butter if you do it this way too or at least make sure its very soft. An immersion blender would work as well you just need to make sure the beans are completely pureed.

Pour batter into 2 well greased (coconut oil or butter) and floured (coconut flour) round cake pans (or square or 1 sheet cake pan or alternately you could make cupcakes too...) and bake at 350 until done (I know that's not very helpful, sorry) I just bake it until I can smell it them I check it to determine how much longer it needs after that.  Let cool and frost. 

My very favorite chocolate frosting is not GAPS legal and I have to admit that I do cheat on birthdays and use it anyway but I'll share a legal one too for those who are more disciplined than I or who need a dairy free frosting.

Best Ever Chocolate Frosting (with Dairy)
1 c Heavy Whipping cream (raw is of course best if you have access to it)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey
Good splash vanilla

Beat all together until thick and fluffy. Make sure cake is completely cooled before frosting!!

Chocolate Frosting (Dairy Free)
1 c cream taken from top of canned coconut milk (Native Forest Brand). Its 
   helpful to put the can in the fridge until chilled before opening and 
   removing the cream
1/2 c cocoa powder
Honey and stevia extract (vanilla flavored is best) to taste (I prefer more 
   stevia than honey or all stevia in this version of the frosting) 
Good splash of vanilla
Optional is a couple pinches of pumpkin pie spice 

* This serves as a lovely mousse also ;)

Beat until well mixed, thick and fluffy. Again its very important that the cake is completely cooled before frosting!!

2 comments:

  1. Have white beans soaking now. Can't wait to try them in a cake recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsey this sounds WONDERFUL! Going to get some white beans soaking!

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete