Friday, May 25, 2012

Homemade Deodorant (It works and won't hurt you)

As most people know, antiperspirants contain aluminum which of course is horrible for your health, as well as a host of other nasty harmful chemicals. 

After trying several natural versions that either didn't work, caused my pits to break out or left me feeling sticky. I came across two brands I almost really liked. Pit Putty by Bubble and Bee and Clean and Fresh by Personal Care. 

The Pit Putty worked well but was way too messy and so hard it was almost uncomfortable to put on. The Clean and Fresh didn't work quite as well as the Pit Putty but had a nice texture. Also for whatever reason, while it smelled nice in the tube I didn't like the smell of it on me. So, I decided to take ingredients from both and come up with what I think is the perfect deodorant. It works better than anything I've used ever and I can customize the smell to suit my mood or hormones. 

Here's what I do....

In a small sauce pan melt

2 T beeswax 

Turn off the heat (but keep it on the burner) and add...

1 heaping T coconut oil

1T  aluminum free baking soda

1/2 T zinc oxide powder

1/4-1/2 tsp vitamin E oil (castor oil works too I discovered one day after  
         realizing I was out of vitamin E oil) 

20 drops Tea Tree essential oil

10 Drops Lavender Essential oil

10-20 drops whatever other oil you like to achieve the smell you like, (I 
          currently like Patchouli and a bit of rose for me & for my husband I 
          add myrtle or fir)

Now remove it from the burner and let the mixture cool as much as possible making sure it is just warm enough to pour/spoon into my recycled deodorant bottle but, before you transfer it  add...

3 capsules (broken open) of a good probiotc, I use  Bio-kult or NTV adult complete Biotic . (Thank you Pinterest for this idea ;) )

Now I pour/spoon the mixture into a recycled deodorant tube and let it cool.

You may have to adjust this recipe to fit your particular container but this should give you a good starting point. I'd love to hear from you if you if try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment