Sunday, May 27, 2012

Creamy Mexican Chicken Soup (Dairy Free)

I cleaned out the fridge the other day and found I had quite a bit of cauliflower I needed to use up, some chicken and 1/2 an onion. I was pleased with what I came up with using these ingredients so I thought I'd share it with you:

1/2 gallon chicken broth

1/2 can of diced green chillies (I get mine from Trader Joes bc I read once that as of fall 
   2011 all their veggies are in BPA free cans. I really should check this out to be certain its true 
   but bc I don't use canned chillies very often I went ahead and hoped for the best)

1 head cauliflower cut into large chunks and lightly boiled

1 med carrot (boiled with the cauliflower)

a few drops of oregano essential oil 

a heaping tsp or so of paprika

a large heaping tsp of cumin, 

about a tsp of coriander

3 cloves crushed garlic

1/2 a small onion minced 

2 or so cups of cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces

sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Bring the broth to a boil, add all but the chicken and let simmer a bit. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender, add chicken and continue to simmer until flavors are all nicely melded together. If you prefer to have the soup completely smooth you can blend the chicken in too.

Serve with some fresh chopped cilantro, diced avocado, a touch of fresh lime juice, also sour cream and grated cheddar cheese if you can have them.


No comments:

Post a Comment